During the study

When your studies begin, you will be very involved. However, don't forget to take care of important administrative things. In order to keep an overview, we have compiled some points for you. Please contact us early in case of problems or questions so that we can help!


By re-registering, you show that you wish to continue your studies. To re-register, you must transfer the semester fees each semester. You can check the current fee amount on the Enrollment Office page. The deadlines for re-registration are:

Summer semester (SoSe): 15.12. - 05.01.

Winter semester (WiSe): 15.06. - 30.06.

It is not possible to pay the semester fees in installments; therefore, if possible, set aside money for your re-registration during the semester. Please note that you can only continue studying by transferring the fee. If you miss the deadline, you will be exmatriculated! This must be avoided at all costs, because the negative effects on health insurance, study time and residence permit etc. are enormous.


Course and exam registration are separate from each other. Registration for the exam takes place on eCampus during a specific period (varies depending on the course). Without this separate registration, you will not be able to take the exam. So it is very important to register for the exams. If you have any difficulties, please get in touch with the contact persons of the examination office.

Change of study

A change of study program is only possible for foreign students with the approval of the Foreigners' Registration Office. If the course of study does not meet your expectations or you would like to change to another city, you should do this as early as possible. After the third semester it is hardly possible to change the study program. If you would like to change your course of study, please be sure to consult us beforehand and consult with the Foreigners' Registration Office!

Vacation semester

If you are unable to study in a semester during your studies, it is possible to take a leave of absence for that semester. Semesters of leave are not counted as semesters of study. If you take a leave of absence, you are not entitled to take courses or to complete credits. You must submit the application for vacation semester to the Enrollment Office.

It is not possible to take a leave of absence in the first semester, even if you enter later due to a delayed visa.

Study with kid(s)

Studying and raising a child or children at the same time is a big challenge. Maternity protection and parental leave are legal regulations that also apply to students. In addition, the university supports parents with various offers. The Equality Office will advise and support you in this regard.

Studieren und gleichzeitig ein Kind oder mehrere Kinder erziehen, ist eine große Herausforderung. Mutterschutz und Elternzeit sind gesetzliche Regelungen, die auch für Studierende gelten. Außerdem unterstützt die Hochschule Eltern mit verschiedenen Angeboten. Dazu berät und unterstützt Sie die Gleichstellungsstelle.  

Work and practice

As a foreign student, you can generally work 120 full days or 240 half days on a dependent basis alongside your studies. An exception exists if it is a student part-time job, for example at the university. Internships that are part of your studies do not require a work permit, even if they are remunerated. Further information can be found, for example, on the website of the German Trade Union Federation Youth.  

Internship or job opportunities can be found on the career portal.